Monday, July 6, 2009

They're Grrrrrrrrreat!

I knew it was going to be a good day when I put on my Frosted Flakes/Tony the Tiger t-shirt. Don't ask me how, but I just knew this shirt would make it a good day.

Work was really good today. I mean, it's good every day, but I have been frustrated with myself over the fact that I am too quiet. I have been trying to convince myself to talk more, which is difficult for me in English, and it's even more difficult to make small talk in Spanish --that is, I have to make sure I am understanding the conversation correctly before I can interject or add anything of my own.

But this morning, it was almost like I was a native Spanish-speaker. (Ok, that may be an exaggeration.) I was understanding better today. I was being chatty, and making conversation. Why can't I always be this way?? haha. It was just so good. We even talked about my Tony the Tiger shirt, when one of the ladies tried to translate it. "They're Grrrreat. Does that mean they're grandes (big)?" It made me smile.

Not only was I talking with my co-workers more, but I was also making more conversation with the students (I don't know what to call them. Some of them are older than I am.. haha). It was just really good. The students were telling me that I understand and speak really well. This always gives me such confidence! As hard as it is for me to believe this sometimes.. haha.

In general, I felt very useful today. I felt like a part of things. I was helping to water (regar) the plants in the garden, to transplant tomato plants into bigger pots, to unload boxes of food from the truck, to put together bags of food/milk/etc. I wasn't standing around looking for things to do. I was just doing. It was good. Later in the comedor (where we serve lunch), I was actually helping to serve people. I was talking to them, asking if they need anything, clearing their plates, etc. They understood me, I understood them. It was just good.

This is the breakthrough day that I have been waiting to have. I am really hoping and praying that from here it just gets easier and easier to make conversation.

As if an excellent day at work wasn't enough, I had a great afternoon. A nice little siesta, and then I went to a cafe with my friend Angelina, where we made a pact to speak in only Spanish for the last 3 weeks. I'd be lying if I told you I haven't already broken this pact (and I am sure I have made and broken this same pact several times in the past as well). But it's the effort that counts, right? ... It was just a really good conversation, and it was nice to just hang out at the cafe, having a coke and people-watching, chatting about our lives in Spain. This is (one of the reasons) why I love Spain. I don't feel like we take enough time for this type of thing in the US.

Anyway, as I was walking home, I got a phone call. I didn't recognize the number, but I answered it anyway.
"Hola"
"Hola -- Raquael??"
"Si -- quien es?"
"Angeles!" (my senora from Sevilla)
AH! I could not believe it! I didn't know what to say! haha. I was so excited! I had sent her an email asking if Jessie and I could stay there when we're in Sevilla, and I gave her my phone number in the email. She said that we could stay there, but she wants to charge us. 20E/night/person. haha. This is steep. Nonetheless, she is including 3 meals a day and it is cheaper than any hostel that we'd find. She said she's willing to negotiate the price.. but still. haha. We'll definitely have to work something out.

Anyway, I was just so excited because I was understanding her perfectly well. I remember having difficulty talking to her on the phone in Sevilla.. and here I am, having a regular old conversation on the phone. She even mentioned how I was understanding her well, despite the difficulty of being on the phone. haha. OH MAN. Maybe I am making progress!

AH! So I just have been freaking out to myself since she called. I keep bringing it up on accident, and I think that nobody here really cares/is annoyed by it. BUT OH MY GOSH. I never, honestly, thought that I would see her again. I wasn't even sure that I would call her if I ever went back to Sevilla. And here I am... asking to stay with her! It's kind of unbelievable. I remembered during our conversation/shortly thereafter that she is kind of crazy. And that she runs a boarding house. Yes, she has "typical fees" that she charges people for a night (20E/person). But at the very least, this weekend is going to provide me with some really great stories and allow me to relive some very comical memories. Ah, I just cannot believe it.

So.. it's been a very good day for me here. I hope tomorrow continues the trend (without expecting too much, of course). I mean, I can't wear the Tony the Tiger shirt twice in a row. :)

Besitos,
Raquael

3 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you're willingly staying with the crazy woman again. haha. It's really great actually because you're right that you'll have those great stories and funny moments again. It's almost like...even the weirdest/ worst/ not always pleasant moments/people/places in Ecuador- I'd just love to experience it all again. Like being with that woman again says- Hey I'm in Spain! And I'm loving it! haha. But you'll have to tell me any crazy things she does. And I can understand totally about being quiet and especially when in Spain. But it sounds like today went great for you and I hope it gets even better!
    P.S. You're GREAT at Spanish, don't ever let yourself think anything less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Rachael, I just read your whole blog and I miss you and can hear your voice through the every line-- I love it! And Im soo happy that things are going well.

    Please be careful staying with that lady again (at least now you know how she is and are prepared for it). . . .

    Peace be with you, chika.
    We definetly need to figure out a way to install siesta's into American culture : )
    Love,
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Awesome! I'm so proud of you for rocking the espanol! I'm going to comment on every single one of your blog entries thus far probably.
    And I cannot wait to hear about how Sevilla was. I'm really excited for you to go con Jessie!

    ReplyDelete