Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How To Walk Like A Spaniard: 101

It's true that there is a particular way to walk here in Spain. I haven't caught on quite yet, but I will soon. Here are my observations:

1. Never move. Not for people, not for cars. Just keep going. It always works out.
All tourists stop completely when cars come and cower into doorways to avoid them. I've learned that this is unnecessary. I keep walking, just like the Spaniards do (on the side of the road though, of course). Though I do have a deep fear of having my arm cut off by a side-view mirror. And, when it comes to moving for people, I still find myself in those awkward left-or-right situations at times. Oh man, I hate that!

2. Always walk in the shade. Pretend like the sun is lava (because here, sometimes it feels like it).
I am definitely catching on quickly to this one. You have no idea how much of a difference it makes to walk in the "sombrita"!
On a related side note: Today, while I was on the bus, we drove past a bus stop full of people. Not one person was sitting on the bench (it was in the sun), they were all scrunched together behind the bus stop.... the only place that offered shade. So typical, so hilarious. :)

3. When I say walk, I really mean saunter. Take your time, don't rush.
This has to be the toughest of the three. I have purposefully gone on walks with no destination where I intended to take a leisurely stroll, but I always end up marching along like I have some place to be. I blame this totally on American culture! I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not racing to be anywhere.

I might "dar un paseo" tonight, just to practice the combination of these things. Really, when you're American, this can be a little bit harder than it looks!

3 comments:

  1. love this! glad that you are embracing every aspect of the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have just captured the essence of what it means to be a Spanish walker. Maybe you should try to spend twice as long getting everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking twice as long is a good idea. You'll have to go slow because it's awkward to be too early.

    ReplyDelete