Wednesday, July 15, 2009

You are the dancing queen!

Highlights and Lowlights: Go!

First the good stuff:
  • On Monday, I played Tabú at work. Tabú is the Spanish version of Taboo.. you know, the game where you have to describe a word without using a certain set of related words. I am proud to report that I even scored some points! The fact that I could guess words faster than native spanish speakers is insanity! ..... I think that the ability to play word games in a second language is a huge step! And I'm pretty sure it's also an excellent way to increase one's vocabulary. Why else would I ever need to learn the word rebaño, except to effectively describe it during the game of Tabú?? Either way, it was a lot of fun to play. Of course I was at a disadvantage, considering my language deficiency.... but when I actually was able to describe words and guess them, I felt extremely competent. I think all Spanish teachers should make their students play Tabú. Really, I think that mastering word games in another language is huge.
  • Yesterday I did nothing. Really. The students were watching Slumdog Millionare (which doesn't have a Spanish translation). I had already seen it many times, and was actually planning to see it last night at the Cine del Verano (an outdoor movie theater in the summer). So they told me not to watch it, so that I don't ruin the ending. hah. Like I don't already know it. Anyway, I just spent the day chatting away instead. Which was good. But still.... I feel so useless sometimes. haha
  • Cine del Verano. ha. I went. It was awesome. I wish we had one in the United States. It's like an outdoor ampitheater with seats and what not, and they show movies every night, I think. It's really cool. Anyway, when we showed up, we realized that the poster said they were going to show Mama Mia instead of Slumdog Millionare. haha. Well, after having traveled all the way there, we decided to watch it. I had already seen it. It's a fun movie. My favorite part about the whooooooooole experience was the fact that there were middle aged Spanish men sitting behind us. And every time an ABBA song came on, they would sing along. HAH. They were loving it. So was I. I don't know that there are too many American men that would do the same. And they were just really into the movie. Laughing all the time. It was so great. The whole crowd was singing along to ABBA songs. I had no idea how popular they were abroad.
  • Today I played a Spanish trivia game at work. It was weird. It was totally from the 80's or something. They were still considering Pluto a planet. (The board was galaxy-themed...I told you it was weird). And it was tough. Everyone was reading the questions and saying "Joder! Que facil!" haha.. meanwhile I had NO idea what they were talking about. There were a bunch of questions about fairytales/etc, and I would just have you know that the names are all different! How should I have known that Cenicienta was Cinerella... or that Ricitos de Oro was Goldielocks. Well, now I know. There were also a lot of questions like, "What is a ______?" ... And they were all obscure words that should have been difficult for Spaniards to define. AKA, they were IMPOSSIBLE for me to define. I had never heard of ONE of them. haha. The truth is, this game was a lot slower than Tabú, and less fun as well. But, when you think about it... who goes to work to play board games? ... Oh, that's right.. I do! :)
  • Yesterday on the bus, on my way to work, one of the ladies who works with me in the comedor got on the bus as well. It was awesome to see somebody that I know out and about. This kind of thing always happens in small towns or hometowns, and to have this experience in a new town is a good feeling. It's like, hey.... I actually know people here. A similar thing happened a few weeks ago, when I was walking with my roommate, and we passed one of the students from the garden on the street. We stopped and chatted, and once again, it was just awesome to feel like I knew people in this town.
  • Jessie has been talking about this opportunity through her program here in Toledo for English speakers to live here, with a residence and meals included, work for 12 hours a week teaching English, and get paid 400E a month. This is so incredibly tempting. Really, that is a small stipend, but with everything included it could work. And for only working 12 hours a week, that's not bad. Maybe I could find some people who want private English lessons as well? I have been thinking about this a lot. I still don't know. But we'll see. It's definitely an opportunity. Anyone else want to join me?? :)
  • I am leaving for Sevilla TOMORROW!! So excited. I can't believe it. I feel like I'm going home. :)
Lowlights:
  • I have a presentation due tomorrow, and I have not started it yet. It shouldn't be too difficult, but I just don't want to do it. On the plus side, I don't have to go to class after I am done! So this is a good thing.
  • I also have a 5 page essay due next week, about any topic. I am thinking I'll write about Immigration. I know that 5 pages is not a lot. But once again, I will stress the point that I have no motivation. ...Maybe it's a good thing I am going to take some time off before grad school. :) Even though I know I'm going to miss school! I'll miss learning, and the atmosphere, and the schedule, but I definitely won't miss the homework and essays.
This is just a random point, not good or bad...but...
  • The program is ending on July 25th, and I have to leave the residence hall by July 27th. My flight from Madrid is on July 30. I don't know what I am going to do for 3 days. haha. I might stay here in Toledo, in a hostel somewhere. Or I am also thinking about going to a playa.. Valencia, maybe. Or maybe somewhere in the north. I am not sure. But I'll figure something out. Maybe I should just use this opportunity to get really tan before I come home. You should see me now... My boss keeps telling me how tan I am.. compared to how "blanquita" I was when I got here... haha. I don't know whether to take this as a compliment or not... but I definitely am. :)
OK, I want to go do laundry and work on my presentation. And I have to pack for Sevilla! So much to do. And I have so little ganas de.....

2 comments:

  1. You could have a job there and live there! That is incredible. Sooo worth considering.

    Can't wait to see you soon and maybe hit up one of those concerts (that is, of course, if you are still living in the country.)

    Miss ya, chika.

    love, Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh raquael. I want to come live in Toledo. Can you email me info about that programa?

    ReplyDelete